Wednesday 2 January 2019

On the 4th Day of Christmas...

... this blogger gave to thee...
... four silly socks...
... three Etsy Shops...
... two tuneful gizmos...
... and a great soup for cold winter days.


Hands up who has ever received socks for Christmas? Keep you hand raised if they've been novelty socks.

Let's face it, socks are not only a Christmas present staple, but they can be less than enthusiastically* received, and quite often just get thrown in your underwear drawer and forgotten about.

I'm not a sock wearer. I never really have been, up until the little foot attacker (Charlie) arrived in our lives, I walked around the house in bare feet almost all year around. But now with the fluffy monster, I wear my shoes all the time... he doesn't attack feet so much now, but wearing shoes all the time has just become a habit. Wearing shoes however, doesn't stop him intentionally walking over the tops of my feet when he comes in soaking wet and freezing cold.

This isn't an accident! He only walks over my feet when he's cold and wet. He's a calculating little opportunist!

The cat aside, the socks I do have and wear, bar the boring black ones for work, are silly**. They're bright colours, they're covered in happy avocados, kawaii rain clouds and moons, glittery narwhals, cats and spots and stripes galore. I am also an enabler, I can't resist buying silly socks for my little sister. My excuse there is she's always cold and they're cute.

Her only complaint is a lack of drawer space.

Seeing socks are an archetypal Christmas present (yes, I got socks) and I like novelty socks, I have been looking for the weirdest patterns I could find, but while I'd wear any of these prints, I've honestly been suckered in by the packaging...
The first socks are by Luckies and ice cream inspired. You even get to choose your flavour, whether that's raspberry or blueberry ripple, mint choc chip or hundred and thousands, these would not only make a cute gift because of the patterns, but their packaging. I've seen a lot of people online manipulating baby socks into cupcake shapes as a way of presentation, and this is along the same line. How freaking cute is it to have these socks swirled inside their cone pots, with the Mr. Whippy shaped clear lid emphasising the inspiration.

Second are maybe my favourites, but I'd find it so hard to remove these Mammillaria Cactus Socks by DOIY, from their packaging. They'd probably end up sitting on my windowsill, alongside my other cacti and succulents... but at least these ones wouldn't keel over!

But I do love the print and the colour of these, so I'd probably end up killing the plant and wearing the socks.
Is it weird that one of the reasons I like these Strawberry Icepop Socks by DOIY, is because anyone who saw them, peeking out from between your shoes and trousers, they'd just look like pink socks?

Like I said, I don't wear socks a lot, but I used too for work and I hated wearing plain black socks, one of the reasons I don't wear patterned socks is that I tend to wear ballet flats, and I can't pull of patterned socks and ballet flats. So socks that have toes and tops with a more interesting pattern would be a little secret.

Plus, put a wooden lolly stick into a sock and their an ice lolly... socks are so versatile!
Why do I love these?! I don't know why but I do!

I have always kind of liked high heels with ankle socks, there's something cute about the right shoe with the right sock. So, then you have these Elmaki collared shirt socks by Japanese based Erimaki Sox, which are somewhere between socks and spats but are in the end just little shirts for your feet.

Seriously, why do I like these so much!

This has actually been a weird post to write. It started as the post for Day 2, then 3 and I could have kept going and putting it off with each addition set of socks which looked like soup cans, beer can, jam jars, pickles, breakfast foods, petit four, sushi, lots of sushi, pizza, donuts, more ice lollies, tacos, cat paws and tree rex designs...

... the sock world is insane!


Happy New Year & Merry Christmas! Part five asap...


* Though hopefully if you're not thrilled with your socks, you have the decency to fake it!
** Little sister confirmed this today as we were talking about socks and I literally said, I don't really wear them but... and she concluded without prompt that 99% of the ones I do wear are silly. Which she loves.


Link || Ice Cream Socks by Luckies || Luckies || Firebox || Not on the High Street || Amazon
Link || Mammillaria Cactus Socks by DOIY || DOIY || Ohh Deer || Amazon
Link || Strawberry Ice Lolly Socks by DOIY || DOIY || Ohh Deer || ASOS || Paperchase 
Link || Collared Socks by Erimaki Sox || Erimaki Sox Collection || Erimaki Sox Shop (Red Tartan || Stripe)

..................................................................................
Listening: Baby It's Cold Outside - Lady Gaga & Joseph Gordon-Levitt

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails