Tuesday 8 January 2019

On the 7th Day of Christmas...

... this blogger gave to thee...
... seven shoes to choose from...
... six party dresses...
... five gold rings!..
... four silly socks...
... three Etsy Shops...
... two tuneful gizmos...
... and a tasty soup for cold winter days.


Um... can I ask, what the hell happened to footwear in 2018? It's not just me that thought there was a hell of a lot of ugly, ugly shoes? I'm down with a chunky block heel, I'm here for a metallic and the colourful suede, but was with all the straps? And worst, what's with the shoes which look like the designers made the shoe, forgot to add an opening for your foot and just slashed the front? They look like a high heel and a slipper had a very unattractive kitten heel baby...

... the only palatable version of this I've seen have been in ankle boots, because they look intentional and not like something my mum wore in the 1980's and should have stayed there!

Sorry Mum, stick with the sequin, holo and floral fantastic Doc Martens, leopard print oxfords and glittery Converse because they are awesome and you're shoes are way cooler than any of mine!

Period.

And next year it'll be seven of my mums best shoes just to prove it, but for now...

Of all of my picks this year, these were my first because out of the options I had, I think they go with the majority of day six's dresses. I really like the shape, the block heel and the fact that they're a gunmetal rather than a more traditional dove grey silver and I like that because I sometimes find silver shoes a little cheap looking. I don't really have a lot of explanation for my choice, and the only anecdote I have about silver shoes is the fact that one of my fine art tutor at college always wore silver shoes a little like this...

... genuinely, the woman was tiny with a blunt grey bob and ran around between students in silver high heels, rubbing out half your drawing one day because your angles were off and telling you the next she liked your use of colour in your life drawing, when there wasn't a single skin tone present. But that's just art tutors in general in my experience.

Kudos on the shoes though, and these burgundy sparkly set by Miss L Fire (excellent name) are definitely something I think she would appreciate and I do too. Yeah, they've not got the highest heel, but I can't want in those anyway and I like the retro 1940's inspiration. I think they'd look really cute on.

It wouldn't be day seven and my choice of shoes if I didn't include shoe boots of some description and these are from Chie Mihara

In my head I'd wear them with four of the six dresses and feel pretty happy that they cut out make them a little more interesting than just a plain black shoe boots, even if there's more of a risk of a little snow, rain or cold getting in.

Yet another vintage inspired set of heels, in a beautiful combination of teal and gold velvet... love, love, love, love. I know I'm a sucker for vintage style heels and velvet and teal and metallic... but these are just beautiful. 

Oh, Holo! It's another set of silver shoes that despite being a pointed toe which I normally can't stand, I could resist these this time because of their holographic finish. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are definitely holographic, which has become a bit of a thing in clothes, accessories and makeup over the past year or two. That said, holo is a tricky beast and is more often incorrectly defined by brands, so don't take it for granted, not all holo is holographic.

When we're talking about holographic effects, we're not talking about the same thing as holograms such as the projected images of deceased pop stars at concerts or Tony Stark playing on his computer in the Marvel movies. We're talking about holographic rainbows or Benton Holograms were invented in 1968. 

In the most basic terms (which is done for me as much as you) holo is a reflective surface material which when moved in the light, shifts from one end of the colour spectrum to the other, creating a shifting rainbow effect which makes lots of people giddy. Myself included. Holo however gets confused frequently with iridescent and duochrome finishes, which while sharing a similar colourful effect, doesn't shift through the full rainbow of colours. For example the little silver icons which creates rainbows on your money and credit cards are holographic, whereas blown soap bubbles, which gradually change colour depending on the angle the light is coming from, are iridescent, and two tone paint finishes which switch, for example between purple and teal only, are duochrome.

But that is a very basic explanation. The truth is, I should probably defer to a the real authority on holo in 2018, who goes by the name of Cristine Rotenberg a.k.a. Simply Nailogical, the Holo Queen and leader of the Holosexuals. Cristine is a Canadian YouTuber who initially began as a nail art channel, but primarily now is the YouTube authority on anything holographic, the tester of terrible nail products and the tormentor of her partner Ben and their cats Menchie and Zyler. She's silly and her explanation of holo is done based on different finishes in nail polish, but actually it's a fun way to see differences between what is in the end a tonne of beautiful sparkles.


She may be insane*, but that's what happens when you're constantly inhaling nail polish fumes and holographic glitter. Now, would any holosexuals in the audience, please stand up!
New Look Suzette High Heels in Dark Yellow/Mustard via New Look Zalando

Okay, so while I can apparently write a lot on a pair of holo shoes which almost didn't make the list, I'm apparently coming up short for explanations this year bar the fact that I love a colour or a finish of a pair of shoes, but frankly why you're attracted to something isn't always explainable, more often than not it's gut instinct. 

Now, I'm not sure yellow shoes go with any of dresses from the last post, however, I love yellow (lellow) and I really, really wanted to include a pair of yellow shoes because I yeah yellow... simple as that. But aren't they pretty?
Irregular Choice Summer of Love Heels in Blue via Irregular Choice & Dolls Kill

This is where I my sister loses respect for me. She doesn't understand that my love for Irregular Choice shoes is probably over a decade old and that I am completely and utterly aware that these are ludicrously over the top. They look like a kid got into the glitter and glue and couldn't stop adding hearts and stars and rainbows and clouds and... they're ridiculous but I love them.

I sat earlier with all the beautiful, but relatively sensible options in front of me, trying as I do every year to match them to certain dresses. I would delete some options as I ruled them out and set aside the ones that I knew I wanted to include. However, these were staring at me from the edge of my screen calling to me like a siren, encouraging me to enter the Candy Kingdom from Adventure Time and go one crazy adventures with Jake, Finn, Lady Rainicorn and Lumpy Space Princess.

These shoes are like the part of me that is completely over the top and happy and sparkly and energetic and joyful, and completely and utterly hidden from view. They're what I want to be, when what I am is plain and boring. I'd love to be the girl who wears these shoes and doesn't give a crap that they're insane...

Now, I have another honourable mention today. As with yesterday, in order to keep her entertained while she was sick, I asked my little sister to help me pick shoes for today, then mostly ignored her for the ones I was drawn too. And by this point in the post, she's probably sad that I've forgotten something...

... yep, bat wing high heels. I didn't forget! I just needed to use you as an excuse.

Anyway, this may have been a pretty garbled post, my brain hasn't really been working for the past few days and other than "I love them" and "pretty" I think my powers of explanation have pretty much ceased functioning. Just look at the pictures and ignore my babbling.


Happy New Year, Merry Christmas & Happy 3am (when I write this) and 1am the next day when I'm posting it. Part eight asap...


* Simply Nailogical a.k.a. Cristine, is actually a full time Crime and Health Statistics Analyst and has a Masters in Sociology which concentrated in Criminology. She's not insane, she's just under the influence of holo.


Link || Even&Odd High Heels in Gunmetal via Zalando
Link || Miss L Fire 1940's Keyhole Amber Heels in Burgundy Red Sparkle via Unique Vintage
Link || Chie Mihara Dandy Leather Shoe Boots in Black via Chie Mihara
Link || Chie Mihara Dish Velvet Heels in Petrol & Gold via Chie Mihara
Link || Dolls Kill Cosmic Fantasy Hologram Heels in Pewter via Dolls Kill
Link || New Look Suzette High Heels in Dark Yellow/Mustard via New Look Zalando
Link || Irregular Choice Summer of Love Heels in Blue via Irregular Choice & Dolls Kill
Link || Killstar Cemetery Lane Heels in Black via Dolls Kill
Link || Adventure Time || Wikia (Candy Kindgom Still) || IMDb || Wikipedia
..................................................................................
Listening: Rainbow Connection - Weezer feat. Hayley Williams (covering The Muppets)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails