Saturday 15 January 2022

On the 6th Day of Christmas...

... this blogger gave to thee...
... six fancy dresses...
... five gold things!..
... four FX plushies...
... three midnight magnets...
... two tricks and treats...
....a tale of lovely lore.


It's traditional 6th Day post time, and as I did last year, I'm going for six dresses from movies which feature Christmas, New Years Eve or just evoke memories of the holidays for me. But while it would be lovely to just look at fashion through the past century of film, to challenge myself I've tried to find some dresses which I think compliment the original or seem like a modern iteration of these classic movies styles...

... wish me luck and I hope you enjoy some pretty dresses and me talking gibberish about movies.


White Christmas (1954)
Vera-Ellen as Judy Haynes
(Costume Design by Edith Head)

It seems almost like a cheat to start with White Christmas (1954) when I already featured it in this last year, however, costume designer Edith Head included so many amazing dresses in this movie, I could probably put a new one in every year without trying too hard. No foreshadowing there for next year! 

But unlike last year, I'm not focusing on Rosemary Clooney as Betty Haynes, I'm actually looking to her sister Judy, played by Vera-Ellen.


"The best things happen when you're dancing" is probably one of the most iconic song and dance routines performed in the movie, showcasing Vera-Ellen's dancing alongside Danny Kaye in a beautiful pale pink chiffon cocktail dress, which shimmers as she dances and most importantly moves with her, enhancing her performance.


It's a dress which is made for dancing, it's made to move, and float and enhance her elegant motions, but that movement is one of the most important aspects to this dress, it should look like it's floating with you, not against you.  (And don't think I'm not eyeing up Clooney's blue dress for next year!)

R to L: Strawberry Sherbet from Chotronette 
Pink Mid-Waist Long-Sleevede Halter Dress via Comstrilly
Dusty Pink Tulle Gown from DesignsByAlexxandra on Etsy

Pink, check. Sheer, check. Floaty, check. My criteria are very obvious in my choices.

The Strawberry Sherbet dress from Chotronette is simultaneously the dress which would be the hardest to dance in, but also the one I really desperately want to see dance and move and swirl and floof and... I'm a nut for their dresses, but honestly this one I just want to see someone dance in and all those layers dance with them.

The middle dress from Comstrilly, is probably the closest match to the original dress designed by Edith Head, from the balloon sleeves to the length, as soon as I saw it I was sold, it's just Judy's dress without the neckline, which though I know it was a signature of Vera-Ellen's style, I never really loved. 

Then dress three, by Etsy seller DesignsByAlexxandra, is what I'd see as the modern equivalent, visible boning replacing ruching and off the shoulder tulle sleeves seeming more modern than the original dress, but still in a similar guise. Again this is a dress that I think would move really nicely.


Link || White Christmas (1954) || IMDb || Wikipedia || Rotten Tomatoes 
Link || Strawberry Sherbet Dress from Chotronette
Link || Dusty Pink Tulle Gown from DesignsByAlexxandra on Etsy



Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Winona Ryder as Kim Boggs
(Costume Design by Colleen Atwood)

Skipping forwards by nearly forty years we're entering the realms of Tim Burton and the pastel macabre world of Edward Scissorhands (1990)...


It's a classic twisted romantic fantasy about Edward (Johnny Depp), a man created by an inventor, who gives him scissors for hands, a bold and ridiculous choice even as a temporary measure, which as the films title suggests, becomes permanent after the inventor dies. Years alone in his fathers crumbling Gothic mansion, Edward is found by Peg Boggs (Dianne Wiest) and she brings him home to live with her family, including her daughter Kim (Winona Ryder), who Edward instantly falls in love with, though not everyone in their little pastel neighbourhood feels the same.


The scene I'm taking inspiration from is right at the end of the movie, while Kim is dancing in the falling snow created as Edward carves a piece of ice into the angelic likeness of her. But when he's surprised by Kim's boyfriend - who is not a fan - he accidentally cuts her hand, bloodying her dress. It is this iconic - kind of hideous - drop waist, off the shoulder ivory dress that I want to find and give a modern twist.

R to L: The Rainbow Sequin Puff from Selkie
Nikki Rose Off The Shoulder Sweater Dress from Tobi
ASOS EDITION Mini Smock Dress in Embroidered Sequin in Mint via ASOS

You're not imagining it, there's a jumper dress in the mix as a representation of the classic Kim Boggs dress, but hear me out. To me when I look at this dress I see the off the shoulder neckline, the slumpy, almost ruched sleeves and a slightly more winter appropriate version of her dress. It doesn't fully make sense, it might not work for you, but for me, as soon as this Tobi dress came up in my searches, I knew I wanted it in my list, because to me it makes sense because other than being knitwear, it's the correct and slightly modernised silhouette.

But of course I've flanked it with two glittery dresses. You can't escape the shine on Kim's dress, so it made sense for glitter and sequins to appear and these two puffy, smock dresses from Selkie and ASOS, again, just kind of called too me, and partly because of the way they've been photographed. I can see Ryder spinning in the snow Edward's creating, moments before it's splattered with her own blood... which is the only part that I think is missing.

A little bit of me wants some sort of beaded blood splatter like Julien Fournié featured in his Haute Couture S/S collection circa 2011...


... but I'm feeling extra, and I think a brooch or necklace that looks like like a glamourous bejewelled blood splatter would be the perfect Christmas accessory. No? Just me?


Link || Edward Scissorhands (1990) || IMDb || Wikipedia || Rotten Tomatoes 
Link || The Rainbow Sequin Puff from Selkie
Link || Halloween Haute Couture via The Midnight Hours
Link || 2010 Juillet Collection - Premier Hiver via Ambraude Univers



The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
Geena Davis as Samantha Caine/Charly Baltimore
(Costume Design by Michael Taylor)

At Christmas, in amongst the classic movies we love and hours of Hallmark hell, sometimes you need a good old fashioned action movie. One of those for me is The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996).


Samantha Caine (Geena Davis) is a school teacher, girlfriend and mother, and eight years earlier from the start of the movie, she washed up on a beach, pregnant and with no recollection of her previous life. 
Suffering from amnesia and wanting to know about her past, she hires Mitch Henessey (Samuel L. Jackson), a private investigator to uncover anything he can about her life before. However, during the festive season, Samantha gets into an accident, hits her head and starts to discover skills didn't know she had, and all of a sudden her past catches up with her and her memory returns, revealing her to be Charly Baltimore, a CIA assassin.


It's quite the transformation, from happy smiling suburban mum with long curly red hair to bleach blonde assassin in an outfit that is akin to that of John MacLean in Die Hard (1988). There's also not a lot of dresses in the movie once Samantha becomes Charly, but the last one we see her in before the switch is flipped is actually a slip, an undergarment, but it's probably one of the most iconic moments in the movie, so it's the one I've chosen...

L to R: Charm Me Gold Satin Cowl Neck Midi Dress from Tobi
Ivory Hearty Dress from Teuta Matoshi
STEELE Corset Slip Dress in Ivory from ASOS

Okay, it's two silky slip dresses (one from Tobi, the other from ASOS) which were ever so popular in 90's and have been making a come back once more, and isn't it just terrifying when the items of clothing you remember as a kid start to make a return to fashion? *shudder* I also included a Teuta Matoshi dress, with the corset boning on the outside, giving that underwear as outwear appearance and thus a little bit more of a formal approach, which while not really being a look-a-like for the original dress, is in my opinion is kind of the modern equivalent. In the end it's a structured underwear top with a tulle skirt and I'm here for it, but also just obsessed with Matoshi's brand and the effortlessly beautiful, classic and whimsical dresses she creates. 

Sorry, not sorry, but this won't be this designers last appearance in this post.


Link || The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) || IMDb || Wikipedia || Rotten Tomatoes 
Link || Ivory Hearty Dress from Teuta Matoshi



Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)
Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones
(Costume Design by Rachel Fleming)

When the next movie came out, I loved it, I'd even go as far as to say it was one of my favourite movies as a teenager, as well as being one of my favourite books. Starting as a newspaper column, the Helen Fielding character became a phenomenon, spawning four books, three movies, short stories and a return to its origins as a column in the paper. My love for this character even meant that when the last weekly editions of the series were published in the Independent in 2005/6, I would stop at the newsagents on my walk to university, and buy a copy, because I wanted to know where the story would go and if the main character would get her happy ending. 

Bridget Jones's Diary played a big part of my growing up and I figured I had to add it to the list, since so much of the movie takes place at Christmas.


When I read the books and watched the films as a teenager, I would love to say I didn't realise how much Helen Fielding had based the story on Jane Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice, but it would be a lie, I wrote my higher English paper on the subject. It didn't stop my loving it, in fact since at the time Pride and Prejudice was my favourite book it only made it easier to get into. Though I have to admit I didn't realise until now that the second book, The Edge of Reason, was essentially based on Persuasion, which I would probably now classify as my favourite of Austen's novels.

The story is Pride and Prejudice set in 90's London, and our Lizzie is Bridget (Renée Zellweger), who is starting the year determined to improve her life, stop smoking, lose weight, get a nice boyfriend, stop fantasising about her cad boss, Daniel Clever (Hugh Grant) and start writing a diary, to keep her on track. But first she has to get through her mothers turkey curry buffet (including the hideous outfit her mother has requested she wear) and her first, less than perfect meeting with Mark Darcy (Colin Firth). 


I had to do the hideous 1970's floral vest, skirt, shirt outfit. I had to give Bridget, this character that brought me such joy as a teenager, something better, even if she still cocked up her first meeting with the guy who would later tell her he liked her, "just the way you are"... which I think everyone wants to hear, at least once.

R to L: Avery Dahlias Gown by Teuta Matoshi
Autumnal Flowers Gown by Teuta Matoshi
Eldora Tapework Lace Dress from Phase Eight

So it's makeover time for Bridget, and I'm giving her something that hopefully her mother would approve of, isn't too risqué or mumsy, and Mark Darcy would definitely turn his head at, but will not, under any circumstances, make her look like she's wearing a carpet. I've kept it floral, I've kept it red and black and only one of them is definitely too much for a turkey curry buffet, but maybe a little better for the Meryton or Netherfield Ball.


Link || Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) || IMDb || Wikipedia || Rotten Tomatoes 
Link || Avery Dahlias Gown by Teuta Matoshi
Link || Autumnal Flowers Gown by Teuta Matoshi
Link || Eldora Tapework Lace Dress from Phase Eight



Rise of the Guardians (2012)
Isla Fisher as Toothiana (Tooth Fairy)
(Concept Art by Daniel McGraw & Lead Image Finalising Artist Anthony Meschi)

Not technically a Christmas movie, though Christmas plays a big role, Rise of the Guardians (2012) I'd class this a general holiday movie, and Toothiana, the Tooth Fairy, is next to get a makeover, though she's pretty glam already...


Rise of the Guardians (2012) has become a film that I expect to see at Christmas. Probably early in the morning, in place of The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) or Father Christmas (1991), the films I watched as a kid, waiting for my family to be as awake as I was. And though I miss the yearly watching of my childhood Christmas favourites, I have no problem with Guardians taking their place. It's an incredibly lovely film and I will admit to crying every time I watch it, which when it's Christmas morning and you're trying to get your makeup on, isn't ideal. Waterproof mascara for the win!


Toothiana, the Tooth Fairy (voice by Isla Fisher) is one of the main characters in the film, alongside the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman), Santa Claus (Alec Baldwin) and the Sandman (Sandy doesn't talk, he communicates through sand symbols above his head - I dare you not to love Sandy). The group dragoon Jack Frost (Chris Pine) to fight to keep children believing in them and stop Pitch Black (Jude Law) from creating a dark, cold world where children don't believe in any of them, or the magic that belief in these deity brings, and stop the joyous light that it brings from going out.


Based on William Joyce's books series The Guardians of Childhood and The Man in the Moon, the film is lovely, and if it's on at Christmas (or any time during the year) it's definitely worth a watch. 

But now to Tooth, who is a hyperactive mixture of sweetness, as she collects teeth to store a child's precious memories, and also maniacally creepy about teeth to the point of being a tad scary. Design to be part human, part hummingbird (with her tiny mini fairy/humming birds, including Baby Tooth), she is shown covered in shimmering feathers of blue, green and gold, which is one hell of a look for daily wear, and the one I've chosen to interpret.

R to L: Nostra Mint Gown by Teuta Matoshi
Emerald Feathered Haute Couture Gown from the Flamingo Collection by Malyarova Olga
Mixed Sequin Tuxedo in Topaz Blue from Nessy Dress

Finding something which switched from gold to green to blue wasn't really possible, so I went for glitz and feathers and I think Tooth would be pleased with these choices. 

So, as an alternative to three sequined or shiny jumpsuits, I'm suggesting a Teuta Matoshi mint green gown which may not be the most practical for gathering teeth from under the pillows of children, but would make for a very fancy date night dress with Jack (who Tooth has a massive crush on). Then there's this insane feathered Malyarova Olga couture gown which, if Tooth Fairies are crowned, surely this must be Toothiana's coronation dress? I mean, it's edged with rows of green ostrich feathers and looks like a princess dress in the best way possible! 

Lastly, I thought it might be nice to find her an outfit for work, a sequined tuxedo by Nessy Dress, to be exact, because if there's any real life equivalent to a metallic feathered jump suit, then it's this. Definitely work appropriate for a Tooth Fairy.


Link || Rise of the Guardians (2012) || IMDb || Wikipedia || Rotten Tomatoes 
Link || Nostra Mint Gown by Teuta Matoshi



The Age of Adaline (2015)
Blake Lively as Adaline Bowman
(Costume Design by Angus Strathie)

The Age of Adaline (2015) is the story of a girl who never grew up, or at least, never grew older...


Adaline (Blake Lively) died in the freezing water of the lake she crashed her car into, but fate intervenes in the form of a lightening strike, and from then on, she can't age, staying physically twenty nine with no explanation why. But immortality has it's downsides and a life on the run, changing her identity, never being able to fall in love and being cursed to watch= her daughter grow older than her, isn't the good life, and when a persistent and perfect man comes along, things get progressively more complicated.


I love this movie, it's aesthetic is beautiful, Blake Lively - who I didn't really rate until this movie - is great and this qualifies for me as a Christmas movie because Adaline meets Ellis (Michael Huisman) at a New Year's Eve party, which is when she wears this beautiful deep red velvet gown.

This custom made Gucci gown is a perfect choice of dress for this time defying character. It's silhouette is vintage, yet modern because it's a classic, the beaded adornments and small sleeves add age to the design but the cut outs allowing her to show a little flesh feel modern, and positively risqué and trend setting in 1945, when she's supposed to have first worn the gown. It straddles the time lines perfectly between 1945 and 2014, and sets Adaline apart from the other party goers, making her look like a woman out of time

In the film most of Adaline's clothes are vintage, having been carefully preserved by her from when she first purchased them and she proves that some things never go out of style and are always destined to come back.

R to L: A-Line Burgundy Balloon Sleeve Tulle Evening Dress sold by Anniebride via Storenvy 
Portia & Scarlett Deep Red Iris Sequin Maxi Dress from Little Black Dress
Diana Dress in Red Wine via Belle Muse

Finding an equivalent for this dress wasn't easy. Velvet dresses, which were incredibly popular two or three years ago, are now either simple slip dresses or old fashioned in completely the wrong way for Adaline's Gucci dress, they're too formal, too reserved, or simple and somewhat cheap looking. When looking for these dresses, I wanted something which straddled the line between modern and vintage.

Dress one, from Storenvy, I feel fits the bill, silhouettes have swung back towards that vintage a-line skirt over the past few years and as soon as you add shear sleeve you re-enter the world of White Christmas and the pink dress worn by Vera-Ellen. This burgundy dress feels like something Adaline would have stored away in her wardrobe from back in the fifties. The same goes for dress three, from Belle Muse, which brings in that more conservative higher neckline, but the cut outs and keyhole which keeps it a little sexier. It's possibly more reserved than Adaline's, but again, has that essence.

Finally I added the deep red sequin dress from Little Black Dress, which perhaps is a little too much for Adaline whose original dress, while straddling timelines, is one which makes her stand out because of how vintage she looks compared to the other women at the party, though not necessarily intended to make her steal focus. A full sequined dress would definitely steal focus and make everyone notice you, but silhouette and colour wise, it's actually one of the closer matches.

If you haven't seen this movie, or even heard about it, I wouldn't be hugely surprised, but I would recommend it if you like a little bit of romantic fantasy. My favourite part of this movie, bar Anthony Ingruber's spot on impression of a younger Harrison Ford, is when Ellis brings Adaline flowers. I won't spoil it for you, but it's one of the most delightful ways I've seen some bring another person flowers on film, only perhaps surpassed by the way it's done in Stranger Than Fiction (2006) when Harold Crick brings Ana, a baker, flours. Hint, Adaline works in a library...


Link || The Age of Adaline (2015) || IMDb || Wikipedia || Rotten Tomatoes 
Link || Diana Dress in Red Wine via Belle Muse


BONUS!

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)
Marilyn Monroe as Lorelei Lee & Jane Russell as Dorothy Shaw
(Costume Design by William Travilla)

You know I had to give you a bonus, mostly because you know I had way too many dresses/films to choose from and couldn't give this one up. 

But this one isn't a Christmas/Holiday movie I hear you shout! This is one of the cases when it is to me. Not only is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) one of my favourite movies of all time, but it also almost always comes on the TV - multiple times - at Christmas. I don't know why, but it does and I watch it every single time because try and stop me.


Lorelei Lee and Dorothy Shaw (Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell) are best friends and showgirls who are heading to Paris so Lorelei can marry her fiancé, Gus and have a little fun on the way. But they are unaware that Gus's father is having them followed by a private eye, to try and prove that Lorelei is a gold digger, since there's no way a beautiful showgirl would marry his son for any other reason. Dorothy, acting as her chaperon, is just happy flirting with the US Olympic team, who are also on the cruise, and trying her best to keep Lorelei out of trouble. Though that is both not easy and doomed to be unsuccessful.

Based on the novel by Anita Loos, it's a musical comedy that has always been one of my favourite movies, and the clothes... oh the clothes!


While there are some outfits which I am absolutely obsessed by in the film, two of the most iconic are probably Lorelei and Dorothy's orange and deep blue gowns, that they wear to dinner on the cruise, and were designed by William Travilla, who designed outfits for Monroe on not only Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, but How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) and probably Monroe's most iconic outfit, the pleated white dress from The Seven Year Itch (1956). He new exactly how to best show off the actresses figure and so these two dresses stand out, and not only for the bright orange colour.

R to L: Forever Shining Navy Sequin Halter Neck Maxi Dress from Club London
Love&Lemonade Backless Sequin Floor Length Prom Dress from Shein
Nox Anabel E377 Dress in Navy-Blue from The Dress Warehouse

Dorothy's dress ended up not being too much of a challenge, a deep blue sparkly halter neck gown being a staple in any era and today I found many, including these by Club London, Love& Lemonade (Shein) and Nox Anabel (The Dress Warehouse) being great interpretations of Russell's dress. Just throw on a faux fur grey stole and a vintage looking star brooch to your neckline and you're there, looking just as glamourous, dark and gorgeous as Jane Russell herself. But Lorelei's...

R to L: Dreamy Marigold Dress from Teuta Matoshi
Orange Gown from Valdrin Sahiti
ADYCE Neon Orange Bustier Bandage Dress from Shien

That bright orange, beaded, ruched, floor length fishtail dress was a challenge. Like with Adaline's dress, finding an orange dress that didn't look cheap wasn't easy, but I think I managed to find three with a little bit of that dresses essence in them. 

In the Teuta Matoshi Dreamy Marigold dress I think you get that figure hugging and enhancing silhouette that Marilyn was so well known for, but with a metallic copper finish instead of beading to give glitz to the already stunning gown. 

Jumping to the third dress by ADYCE (Shein), if you take off the fishtail from the original dress you've essentially entered the world of the bandage dress, which as a modern day classic in itself. Designed by Azzedine Alaïa in the 80's the bandage dress is most well known in the form of Hervé Léger's 90's interpretation, but looking at dresses such as Lorelei's it's easy to see where the inspiration for those bodycon dresses came from and so it's not a big leap to get from one to the other.

But I think the gown that I found at the eleventh hour, by Valdrin Sahiti is just perfect. No it doesn't have a fishtail, yes it lacks the beading, but can't you imagine Marilyn in it?


Link || Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) || IMDb || Wikipedia || Rotten Tomatoes 
Link || Nox Anabel E377 Dress in Navy-Blue from The Dress Warehouse
Link || Dreamy Marigold Dress from Teuta Matoshi
Link || Orange Gown from Valdrin Sahiti (Image)
Link || ADYCE Neon Orange Bustier Bandage Dress from Shien


I genuinely find this a really fun post to create, which is why it always ends up taking me a million times longer to write up than I expect. It didn't help this year that I had too many films, too many dresses and a complete inability to choose between them, or from letting myself look for new ones the entire time I was writing the post.  

Every time I thought I'd found the right dresses, I found a new one or had second thoughts. I'm apparently quite fickle when it comes to picking dresses for fictional characters.

Anyway, it's still fun to play dress up, especially with characters and films that I have loved and enjoyed over the years. And I hope you liked them and found this fun, even if it's just looking at some pretty clothes, because I enjoyed it.

Now for some reason I'm really struggling to know how to sign off on this post so...

Happy Saturday! Part seven in a matter of hours... how many hours? 

..................................................................................
Listening: Ain't There Anyone Here For Love? - Jane Russell

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails