Thursday 8 July 2010

Silhouettes...

So over the past few years, I've been very privileged to be allowed access to a laser cutter through the university for make pieces of design work such as the above specs. However since leaving I've been bereft by it's absense - or at least the ease of being able to cut designs from pretty much anything by just making the right illustrator file.

This morning however, I log onto the old bloggy wog & discovered in my RSS feed that Little Bird Secrets, a lovely blog I've been reading, has reviewed a small digital printer called the Quickcutz Silhouette SD. While not so far as I've read being able to cut through things like acrylic, cardboard, wood or rubber (yes, I tried laser cutting just about everything!) does create very accurate paper cuts. Which would certainly help for work, sketch booking & creating decals for display purposes.


The above machine & subsequent blogging has brightened my day a little - despite costing the best part of three hundred pounds - because of the hours & hours hunched over paper cuts, the multiple cuts and blisters I've given myself since September doing things for window displays and wondering if I could sneak into the uni and 'borrow' the facility for a couple of hours. The idea of a printer to do this would be fantastic!

Anyhow, I thought that it was a really interesting product & wanted to share the wealth, especially as I know at least two ex-DoJ students are part of the tea jennies and may be interested given the loss of their access to the laser cutter.

And now to add it to my Amazon wish list!

..................................................................................
Listening: Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails