Sunday 4 December 2011

Christmas Window 2011 x 3

It's that time again. Christmas is fast approaching and the first snow has fallen, so the java script has returned to my blog. That and I've been spending weeks working on the Christmas window display for work. One change this year, we did all three practices, not just Blair.

This years idea was all my little sisters, though most of the execution was mine, and is based on the idea that in the clouds there are snow mills (also a picture house and church) which produce snow to fall on the trees and houses below. It went in two weeks ago today and had been driving me insane up until the day or two before because I had to work out the nets for the buildings, then cut them, build them, tile them and smother them in glitter...I liked that bit.

The Picture House is based on how the derelict building in Blair looked in the 1920's when it opened. Quinns Picture House is one of my favourite buildings in town, it's falling to bits and it has had its death warrant signed, to be demolished and turned into flats, so I wanted to honour it before that happened. So I've spent a lot of time researching and trying to make it as accurate as possible - though I now notice I forgot the lanterns and the side gates, which is annoying. I will have to add those if I get time. Inside the theatre though, through the windows, backlit by a battery candle, you can just see a still from The Great White Silence, the first film to be shown there.
The mills are also based on derelict buildings in Blairgowrie. The larger, wider building is based on Oakbank Mill, one of the remaining derelict jute mills along the Ericht. While Keithbank Mill, which sits on the opposite side has been turned into posh flats, Oakbank has been left empty.

The Church is not based on any in Blairgowrie, it's in fact a (slightly embellished) paper version of a matchstick church my grandpa Charlie made before he died. I have two of them, a little church and a jewellery box, both of which need repaired, and while there are plenty of churches in Blair and the surrounding area that would have worked, those little matchstick churches have more significance for me than any other.

Anyway, Blairgowrie's window went in first and is the most elaborate. Then the following Friday, we added a snow covered mountain to the Broughty Ferry window, complete with glitter covered trees and a icy looking pool at base for glasses. The posters etc have probably been taken out now because they were putting different specs in.

Carnoustie was the most awkward, we hadn't made enough pom poms and had no clue of what the window was like - I've only been in once or twice and didn't have measurements. This meant a whole Sunday sat making pompoms and working things out as we did them.


It's the first time we've done all three, and I'm happy, plus we know the lay of the land now and can plan ahead a little more for the windows which will stay up for the start of the year.

All the windows were handmade by myself and Louise, from the houses and pompoms to the trees, stars and snow.
..................................................................................
Listening: One EskimO - Kandi

All Photographs taken by Emily Boyd.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails