Thursday 5 January 2012

On the 12th Day of Christmas...

...this blog gave to thee...

...twelve drummers drumming...
...eleven days in lego...
...ten tasty tipples...
...nine pins and strings...
...eight resolutions...
...seven shoes to choose from...
...six party dresses...
...five gold rings!..
...four paper worlds...
...three shiny gems...
...two texting whales...
...and a pendant that I made.


Twelve drummers drumming and twelve songs from of 2011...


1. Lippy Kids - Elbow


Not so much the difficult second album, just the one which proved that The Seldom Seen Kid wasn't a fluke. I love Elbow and Guy Garvey's voice.

2. Shake It Out - Florence + The Machine


Florence and her difficult second album. But it's rounder and more flowing than the first and it took one listen for me to become obsessed. And to think I wasn't sure when the first single came out!

3. Call Your Girlfriend - Robyn


Excellent song, but watch Greg James' interpretation of the video on youtube, you won't regret it.

4. Calgary - Bon Iver


Only one thing could make this album better...lucky Bon Iver collaborated with James Blake not long after and an epic single was born.

5. Under Cover Of Darkness - The Strokes


2001 is sound tracked in my head by The Strokes first album. This single sent me scurrying to revisit it.

6. Kanye West and Jay Z feat. Otis Redding - Otis


One problem with this song, they don't let Redding scream "Try a little tenderness!" at the top of his lungs. Instead Kanye yelps it. Poor form.

7. Rolling in the Deep - Adele


Another difficult second album, and a better one than the first in my opinion.

8. Countdown - Beyoncé


First time I saw this I thought Beyoncé had lost it. But it's lodged in my brain now!

9. Our Day Will Come - Amy Winehouse


2011 saw the death of Amy Winehouse, how couldn't I include something when I genuinely loved her first two albums?

10. Bubble - King Creosote & Jon Hopkins


You have to listen to this song with the video, it's beautiful.

11. Nothing's Real But Love - Rebecca Ferguson


Okay, okay, it's an X-Factor contestant, but I don't care, Rebecca Ferguson has a beautiful and old fashioned voice which I loved as soon as she sang "A Change is Gonna Come" in her audition. She reminds me of Billie Holiday and her peers and this song grows on you quickly.

12. A Case of You - James Blake


Did you think I'd forgotten James Blake? I've been obsessed by his album since it came out in February and I'm still playing and replaying the songs without growing tired of it. His cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" is one of my favourites and this video - with the annoyingly pretty Rebecca Hall - was put up on youtube just before Christmas. What luck!


There were some great ones I missed out, such as Higher Love by James Vincent McMorrow and My Body by Young the Giant, because they featured as musical interludes, others, such as Two Door Cinema Club and The Vaccines because despite how good they were, they've been so over played in the media they've almost reached the tipping point from good to awful. And I won't push them over the edge.

And my Spotify List is called 12 Days 2011.

So that's it, the Twelve Days of Christmas 2011 are over, all the decorations have come down, the fairy lights have been turned off and the house seems rather sad without their glitz and glamour.

Normal life resumes. I hope you all had lovely Christmases and New Years, here's hoping 2012 is a good year and lots of jewellery is made, blogging is done and lovely things happen! That's what I'm hoping for at least.

Em x



..................................................................................
Listening: Our Day Will Come - Amy Winehouse

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails