Thursday 28 June 2012

At the bottom of everything...

...lies a paper reef, surrounded by paper fish.
*designed, handmade and fitted by Elizabeth, Emily & Louise Boyd.
II - I must go down to the sea again...
It's been a few months since we put in our last window display at work. Up until last weekend it had been filled with a rainbow paper chain curtain, but on Saturday and Sunday Louise, Mum and installed our paper reef. Something which Mum has been wanting us to do since we took over the windows a couple of years ago. It also ties in with my dads current obsession with marine tanks, so it's nice to do something they both love.
I - I must go down to the sea again...
It has taken us about 3 weeks (not full days, since I work in the mornings) 2 days to install, approximately 1,800 cocktail sticks and 2,400 cotton buds, plus a couple pads of tracing paper, half a dozen newspapers, a couple of hundred cupcake cases and as many toilet rolls as I could collect over the past few months. I've looked like a lunatic when heading to the till at the local supermarket.

Though I do love it myself. It's the first window we'd done in ages which I have really enjoyed making and the obsession which comes with a time limit didn't actually make me go completely mental. Plus, one of the things I really love about it is that it looks as good from the inside as from the outside, which is why it took us an extra day and generally never happens!
IV - I must go down to the sea again...
X - I must go down to the sea again...
VI - I must go down to the sea again...
VIII - I must go down to the sea again...
III - I must go down to the sea again...
XVII - I must go down to the sea again...
XIII - I must go down to the sea again...
XIV - I must go down to the sea again...
XIX - I must go down to the sea again...

There are a few more photos on my Flickr Stream, and I will be uploaded more once I've tweaked one end of display where a stand for sunnies had to go and thus needed to be left clearer so there wouldn't be a massive collapse. Anyway, apart from trying to make strawberry jam (raspberry jam and elderflower cordial were made on Tuesday), that's my plan for my day off. Get the window finished, oh and not wear makeup or brush my hair or think about looking 'smart'...love a day when you don't have to do that!
..................................................................................
Listening: Medicine - Daughter

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails