Wednesday 2 January 2013

On the 9th Day of Christmas...

...this blog gave to thee...

...nine fat wee ladies...
...eight resolutions...
...seven shoes to choose from...
...six party dresses...
...five gold rings!..
...four little shorts...
...three tasty treats...
...two fancy stamps...
...and a Cathedral made of seeds.

Something I love today. Matryoshka, or Babushka if you like, though more commonly known as Russian Nesting Dolls, of which I have three at home and my ninth day of Christmas is in homage to the traditional toy. In other words designs which are inspired by or utilise their rotund little figures.

Let's start with one one set of dolls I own, Fred Flare measuring cups, which are almost too good to use in the kitchen!
So, sticking in the kitchen for a moment, what drink do we associate with Russian? None other than vodka...so is it any wonder that someone has created Matryoshka vodka with the traditional fat bottomed shape? I'm sold...



The shape is part of the reason I like Russian dolls. They're all about womanly curves, but of course they have to be, Russian dolls are based on families, in particular the matriarch, each doll representing the grandmother, mother, daughter and grand child. Some modern interpretations use the shape and neglect the hierarchy, the action of one doll fitting inside another, but one design which manages it without being separated is the Mathmos Babushka changing colour light. Which I don't think they make anymore, which is a shame (did I ever mention I sucker for a glitter lava lamp?).



Another take on the Matryoshka light is that of Dima Loginoff, who has taken the traditional shape and pattern beautifully cut into the glass shades to make these lovely lights. I just hope they cast patterns on the wall when they're lit.



Bit, byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte and terabyte...here's an easy solution to work out how much storage you need - if you can remember the 'byte order, you're a better person than I. The Indivisible Bit - Matryoshkus by Anton Schnaider.


These next Matryoshka could definitely store more than a terabyte, designed by Boris Krasnov each giant Russian doll took 15 craftsmen to make, soaking the wood before carefully bending it into the traditional figure. The dolls measure between 6 and 13m (19-42ft) in height and are decorated with images of traditional Russian crafts and patterns.



Bushkabank by Racheli C. Sharfstien are simple and elegant piggy bank, which come in three different sizes, small, medium and large and look like a thrifty family. I think they'd make excellent swear boxes, one for each offender.

Another set of more storage minded Matryoshka with a more dumpy silhouette. Matrioshka by Andre Klauser from Y'a Pas Le Feu Au Lac are a lovely set of stacking storage containers made from beechwood.
And lastly...I'm one of three girls, I'm in fact the middle child and so I'm lucky I have a big sister and a little sister and yet I also get to be both a little sister and an elder sister. Which is nice...it doesn't stop them teasing me about being a stereotypical middle child, but never mind. This photo, of three girls with tattoos reminds me of my sisters, because I like the idea that the girls in this photo are just that.



And that's it. Nine little dolls, all in a row. 

Link | Matryoshka Measuring Spoons from Fredflare (via Pinterest)
Link | Matryoshka Vodka via Pinterest
Link | Babushka Light by Mathmos  via Pinterest
Link | Dima Loginoff Matryoshka Light via Pinterest
Link | The Indivisible Bit - Matryoshkus by Anton Schnaider (via Pinterest)
Link | Giant Matryoshka by Boris Krasnov from the BBC (via Pinterest)
Link | Matrioshka by Andre Klauser via Y'a Pas Le Feu Au Lac
Link | BushkaBank by Racheli C. Sharfstein from Design Milk (via Pinterest)
Link | Matryoshka tattoo via Pinterest

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. Part ten tomorrow...
..................................................................................
Listening: Us - Regina Spektor

1 comment:

PhotoPuddle said...

I love nesting dolls. In fact I was given some measuring cups a bit like those white ones except red for Christmas. I've not used them yet though. They are just looking pretty on display in my kitchen!

Related Posts with Thumbnails