Sunday 10 May 2015

pantone spring 2015: en plein air {tangerine}

Links by WHO 2003 via ElemenoP Tumblr
Orange Bouganvillia via Pinterest
. by Anna NYCZ on Flickr via Sortrashion
Bark by Cedric Pollet via Pinterest


Every time I look at Pantone's Tangerine 15-1247, two things pop into my head. One is simple, I love burnt orange colours to wear and it's one you very rarely see on the high street. The other one isn't fruit, I think of the film, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Joel: You look like a tangerine!
Clementine: Hmmm, Clementine the tangerine.
Joel: Juicy... 'n seedless.
Clementine: I like that.

It keeps popping into my head, as I think about the colour Tangerine. The conversation Joel (Jim Carey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet) have about her dying her hair the same colour as her favourite sweatshirt before that memory, along with all the others are erased.

This is one of my favourite movies. The idea of being able to erase bad memories, who wouldn't want to do that? But on the flip side, how those painful moments in life, also become sacred. How erasing one bad memory, could meaning losing another your cherish.

Whilst I was working my way through papers soaked by that faulty dehumidifier behind my books, I came across some old emails.  Why I'd printed them, I don't remember, most I threw away as they were just the trivial babbling of a teenager, but one, even though the contents brought back hurtful memories. Also made me remember the little flicker for hope that this tiny email, of a conversation one friend had with another about me, had given me. Even reading it back now, I couldn't throw it away, because actually it made me feel better about the situation all these years later.

"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I wish I was a forgetful person. I'm not. I remember things far too well for far too long, and my psychology suffers for that. I can, and will nitpick over things, both important and mundane, which happened a decade ago, as though they happened yesterday. Which, because I've written this down, I will without fail do to the point of not being able to sleep tonight. Being forgetful would be nice sometimes.

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd ..."
- Extract from 'Eloisa to Abelard' by Alexander Pope

Though it does come in handy when your family can't find any small to large object you can think of and they can mislay/leave for someone else to put away.


Link | Pantone Fashion Colour Report Spring 2015: En Plein Air
Link | Links by WHO 2003 via ElemenoP Tumblr (Pinterest)
Link | Orange Bougainvillea via Pinterest
Link | . by Anna NYCZ on Flickr via Sortrashion
Link | Bark by Cedric Pollet via Pinterest

..................................................................................
Listening: Peer Pressure - Jon Brion

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails