Thursday 18 June 2015

paper architects


The Paper Architect, Alchimie de Courvoisier, The Hunter and Theatre Book - Macbeth, all hand crafted by Bristol based husband and wife duo, Davy and Kristin McGuire. All of which are beautifully delicate, and emotional paper dioramas, made as theatrical installations which are brought to life with projected movements.

The Paper Architect, is my particular favourite. In a mixture of papercut sculpture, projections and live action, it tells the story of an lonely elderly man (play by John Cording) who is about to be evicted from his studio workshop, and whilst spending a few final hours with his work, contemplates how life could have turned out differently. It's a melancholy story most people can probably empathies with.

Whether it's an installation, or a pop up book, beautifully illuminated and animated, the couples work is just magical.

All I'm going to say is, ugh!

Also, that I feel gypped. We never got to do dioramas at school, I would have LOVED to do dioramas at school! I'd love to do dioramas now! Then again, that's kind of what I do at work isn't it? Oversized dioramas. Though not actually for work... my work involves more ordering things on the computer, and fitting lenses into frames... ugh, my job sucks, I want to be them!


Link | Davy and Kristin McGuire
Link | Davy and Kristin McGuire on Vimeo
Link | Beautiful Papercraft Installations Brought To Life [...] by Davy and Kristin McGuire via Laughing Squid
Link | The Paper Architect by Davy and Kristin McGuire photographed by India Roper-Evans

..................................................................................
Listening: Search Party - Ghost Poet

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails