Wednesday 7 October 2015

Pantone Autumn 2015: An Evolving Colour Landscape {Cadmium Orange}


Vintage Penguin Trilogy by Raggedroses on Flickr
Untitled via Resolute Woman on Tumblr (Pinterest)
Untitled via Brit+Co
IMG_1355 by Chuyên Blue on Flickr

It's pretty, it's peachy, it's summery... is it the orange I think of for Autumn? Not really.

Autumn is, in my mind, the season for beautiful rusts, browns and burnt oranges, which still have that beautiful warmth without any lurid overtones. They're the colour of beech leaves littering the ground and either curling up for people to crunch through, or sticking to the pavement in the rain. Even, given we're a few weeks away from Halloween, a pumpkin shade would be an acceptable nod to the wonderful natural orange tones of autumn.

Now, I love this board, I love the orange hair which reminds me Eternal Sunshine, the Rannuculus are beautiful, the photo by Chuyen Blue has a beautiful tone to it and who doesn't love a classic Penguin cover? And I'm not saying that Cadmium Orange 15-1340 is lurid or that it's a horrible colour. It's not, but, it's soft, it's more peach than rust and has an almost flesh tone to it, which I think of more as a spring or summer colour than as an autumn/winter one. Then again, seeing Dulux's colour of the year is Copper Blushthis choice for an orange hue could perhaps be a nod to that, with a little more orange overtone that Copper Blush's pink.


My feelings towards Cadmium Orange isn't being helped by the fact that the jumper I'm currently wearing (and slightly obsessively since I bought it... I even bought a second one, I love it so much) is burnt orange and it's putting me in the seasonal mood where I want to start wearing boots and darker lipstick. I wait every year for those rust hues to hopefully appear in the fashion world because I love them and they're one of the few colours I feel I actually really suit* and they are like gold dust** and every year I've been disappointed. So for me, I'm swapping this pretty peach out for rusts.

Sorry Pantone.


* I would look so so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, SO bad in Cadmium Orange! It wouldn't even be funny!

**  Which, funnily is less rare if you're a jeweller and spend most of your life with gold and silver dust embedded in your clothes


Link || Fall 2015 Pantone Fashion Colour Report: Cadmium Orange

..................................................................................
Listening: For You - Rae Morris

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails