Friday 9 July 2010

Love is Blind

Love is blind...or at least let's hope so.

Beautiful ceramic vase designed by Jessica Marie Lertvilai, who collects love letters and transcribes them into Braille. "The Love is Blind project is both coded and an abstract pixilated painting. The attempt to show the crossing of boundaries that exists between language, art and design."

I have a soft spot for Braille, I used to be able to read it - I learnt in college for a design module, however I was embossing it into metal so was reading it backwards most of the time. So my love would have to be blind & illiterate. However, I really like the idea of an incredibly precious and private love letter being turned into a generally illegible relief pattern, which few people could read without a cheat sheet to transcribe back. The Braille protects the sentiment and encodes it. I think that's lovely.

..................................................................................
Listening: Florence & The Machine - You Got the Love

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails