Tuesday 30 November 2010

Monday Mood Board: Autumnal Greys 2010

Row 1: Bridesmaid Dress by Sarah Seven, Grey Pumpkins via Lynn Goldfinger Abram
Row 2: Beauties Cottage by Helen Musselwhite, Untitled by Nikolinelr
Row 3: SHED & jewellery by Artemis Russell

While I don't tend to follow trends, occasionally one will catch my eye and this year one has. Guess what it is? Yep. Greys.

This is partly due to the fact that grey is probably my most frequently worn colour, one I'm told i do actually suit and I'm obsessed with Nail Inc. London, a brand which names every colour after a different London street and has embraced the Autumn/Winter grey trend.

Aren't pretty in their monochromeness? I think my nail varnish obsession of November may have subsided now luckily or I might be tempted by these, but all my nails have broken, split and been gnarled back down to the quick. I wish I had stronger nails, or never started biting them - a habit which I am also grossed out by - because they're very weak now and never stay long very long...and usually when I've managed I either ruin them by being in and out of a washing up bowl every two minutes or by filing, polishing & chipping them down in the workshop.

Incidentally, we aren't mentioning the workshop at the moment, I've not been in for months and I think I'll cry & have another flip out if I talk about it. Designers block is really getting ridiculous and making me even more hermit like, so if you're one of my friends from school or uni & haven't heard from me in months, please, please don't write me off, I really just don't know what to say to anyone without feeling like a desperate loser.

Doesn't explain how I can write in on my blog however.

More mood boards to come, I'm off down the shops in the snow...fun!

..................................................................................
Listening: Regina Spektor - 20 Years of Snow

4 comments:

Abigail A. Percy said...

Don't worry about not feeling like making - I have been very much like that all this year since having swine flu and at times the thought of going in and working has made me burst in to tears!

(we forget how hard working with metal can be on the body when you're tired/run down... it's hard, and sometimes sore, work!)

I found doing something *else* creative, like embroidery etc (or for me, the drawing I had to get on with for a*r, or the cutting and sewing of fabric goods) helped unblock me a little...

I really haven't done very much jewellery making this year, and now, after my sale, have a HUGE amount to do - but don't feel so bad as I have built my 'creative stamina' back up with other things, very gradually and over time!

It didn't feel like it was working, but it has begun to come good for me in the last month or so...(after months of sticking at it)...

It all sounds very pathetic indeed, and self indulgent, but it's true... so have a wee bash, and most importantly, don't be too hard on yourself. I did *nothing* for 3 months at the beginning of this year, but it can begin to come good again...

p.s. I have those nail-polishes! They're really nice in person... got them on asos, where they were a little cheaper than Nails Inc. direct :)

Hang in there, and chin up!!! xoxo

PhotoPuddle said...

I really like grey at the moment too and I love grey nail varnish.

Emily Boyd said...

I'm not sure my dove grey nail varnish was for me. I'm more of a charcoal girl I think. Plus it was unbelievably thick! You'd have thought it was ancient rather than brand new. Very disappointing.

Grey's my kinda go too colour I think. Especially as it goes with pretty much any colour you put it with.

Maybe next year will be kind and I will grow enough of my nails back to start painting them again :)

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. xxx

Emily Boyd said...

Abigail, I know you posted that lovely comment years ago now, I never posted it to my blog because, well, I kept trying and trying to reply and failing.

Truth is, it doesn't seem to matter how many crafts I try, whether it's sewing, lace, knitting, crochet, making sheep or teddies (which is my current thing), I can't get out of the funk.

It's pathetic, but true, I left uni so long ago now and nothing much has changed and I have no idea what to do with myself or how to make and sell things, whether I need to go back to jewellery or find something else...

I know part of it is because I'm scared to try and fail, and to get past that, I just need to force myself but the other part is nothing's changed since I posted this four+ years ago, other than I have a job so am earning a little money.

I'm not posting this for sympathy, but, more because the post you left has been sitting in my inbox for so long, that what I really want to say is, every time I see something about your and Ryan in a magazine or on pinterest or online, seeing you move from one discipline to another, it makes me happy, because you're doing so well and that post, sitting in my inbox, has actually been a source of comfort and inspiration.

So, this is a little, belated thank you, you will probably never see.

Emily x

Related Posts with Thumbnails