Sunday 17 May 2015

pantone spring 2015: en plein air {dusk blue}

Slips of paper containing prayers in the cracks of the Wall by Yarin Kirchen via The Times of Israel
Pseudophilotes panoptes by  BlezSP on Flickr
War Games: Dip-dyed Raw Ceramic Marbles from Fredericks and Mae
For Get Me Nots by tanakawho on Flickr


The legend I know, behind the naming of the forget-me-not, involves a knight falling into a river. As the knight walked along the banks of a river with his lady, he fell into the water. Throwing back the posy of little blue flowers he was collecting for her, he called out "forget-me-not!" as the weight of his armour drowned him in the water. So it was often worn by ladies as a sign of faithfulness and enduring love.

The legend I didn't know is of German origin and claims, as God named all the plants, a tiny forgotten blue flower cried out "Forget-me-not, O Lord!" God replied, "That shall be your name."

A similar telling of this legend suggests God thought he had finished giving all the flowers their colours, when he heard one whisper, "forget me not!" All their creator had left, was a tiny amount of blue, but the forget-me-not was overjoyed to wear it.

I like this version, even thought I am not religious in any way, I like the idea of a flower being scared of being forgotten, that even though it was little, it called out. Even though it was probably quite happy waiting quietly, it just wanted to be noticed.

Makes me like forget-me-nots far more than love tokens.

Also, I missed a trick with this board, there is actually a Dusky Large Blue (Phengaris Nausithous) butterfly, but it wasn't nearly as dusky blue Dusk Blue 16-4120, as the Panoptes Blue (Pseudophilotes panoptes).


Link | Pantone Fashion Colour Report Spring 2015
Link | Slips of paper containing prayers in the cracks of the Wall by Yarin Kirchen via The Times of Israel (Pinterest)
Link | Pseudophilotes panoptes by  BlezSP on Flickr (Pinterest)
Link | War Games: Dip-dyed Raw Ceramic Marbles from Fredericks and Mae via Design Curiosities (Pinterest)
Link | For Get Me Nots by tanakawho on Flickr
Link | Forget-Me-Not on Wikipedia

..................................................................................
Listening: Once And For All - Clock Opera

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails